Sunday, June 28, 2009

Out with the old, in with the used


I'm getting ready to move, so downsizing, redecorating, and thriftiness are on my mind. Whenever I find something I want to buy, or something I "need", I'll often think of a couple of things I can sell first... so i can satisfy my desire to have something "new" without breaking the bank or acquiring more useless things.

So, if you want to sell your clothing, furniture and/or accessories... here are the best places I've found to do so in Boulder:

THRIFT

Rags Consignment:3129 28th St Boulder
I love this store, I'm just not always a fan of consignment, especially when I need the cash asap. I've had good luck selling at Rags though, and almost always find clothes I like. They have a great jeans selection!

Common Threads: 2707 Spruce St Spruce St. Boulder
Common Threads is another great option for recycled fashion in Boulder. You can often find "higher end" things here, but this usually means higher prices. They're another consignment shop, so no cash in hand, but they'll give you 50% of what they sell. They have great used jewelry, or new jewelry from local artists--- and they offer sewing and jewelry making classes!

Buffalo Exchange: 1717 Walnut St. Boulder
I've found nice clothes here, but they're not the most buyer friendly in my experience. The folks at the Boulder Store are really picky about what they take, and unless you're the 'Brand Name Queen/King', you may have trouble getting rid of things. The Denver location will usually take more items, it's just a bit of a drive for clothing exchange... so you may want to plan ahead if you live in Boulder. Buffalo Exchange will either give you store credit, or a little less if you just want cash. Check out their website for other locations.


If you have furniture to sell, No Place Like Home will buy or consign.

And don't underestimate Craigslist or Ebay. Craigslist is particularly good for furniture or "non-clothing" things. Here's a couch I got for FREE on Craigslist:



I've had tons of luck selling Jeans on Ebay,... and usually make more money than what I expect.

Here are a few other places I don't frequent often, but love nonetheless. Most have decent clothing selections, and all are good for furniture and other non-clothing "stuff":

Ares Thrift- 2536 Spruce St Boulder(no website)
Salvation Army- 1701 33rd St. Boulder
Sister Carmen-701 W Baseline Rd Lafayette
Savers -695 S Broadway St # B Boulder
Goodwill- Denver area

VINTAGE

If you're ok about spending a little more for nostalgia, or you have vintage furniture or other vintage items you need to unload, I recommend the following places:

Serendipity: 635 3rd Ave, Longmont.
This is my new favorite vintage/antique store (I wish she had a website!). It's not in Boulder, but Longmont is close enough. This store is huge and full great furniture and clothing. She also has a large selection of vinyl, which I've recently begun collecting. And.. she's willing to buy the pile of 1960's playboy mags my grandfather had stashed away. Hooray!
(I'll most likely do a post just about this store at some point, so keep checking back if you're interested).

The Amazing Garage Sale: My second favorite. You can buy, sell, or consign furniture here. She has mostly high end vintage furniture, so not always the most affordable items.... but definitely worth stopping in!

Candy's Vintage: 4483 Broadway St. Boulder.
This is mostly a costume clothing and jewelry store, with the majority being vintage. She has some fun jewelry and other accessories, as well as shoes and vintage dresses.

The Ritz: 959 Walnut, Boulder.
Another fun costume shop with vintage gems tucked away.

Goldmine Vintage: 1123 Pearl St., Boulder.
This is a newer vintage store in Boulder, and I've only stopped in once. It seems to be mostly a clothing and accessories store, possibly with costumes in mind. I plan to check it out again soon.


And here are a few I've either visited briefly or haven't been in yet:

Jah Vintage 3330 Eldorado Springs Drive, Boulder
Boss Vintage 10 S. Broadway, Denver
Regal Vintage 1866 S Broadway, Denver

My Denver thrift and vintage knowledge is limited, so if you have suggestions that aren't listed here... please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment