Sunday, June 21, 2009

Here's to you, Dad.

My dad has been a loving support and powerful influence in many ways. Today, I'm thinking of his gift of music. Specifically, and this might surprise him, I'm thinking of the clarinet.
My love for Big Band and Lindy Hop was sparked, in part, by the sound of a clarinet, and I would have to attribute the affinity I have with this woodwind... and therefore my love of swing, to my father.
Dad is a middle school band director and has been devoted to music education since before my birth. Music was infused in daily aspects of my upbringing through listening, performing, and educating.
My mom played the trumpet and piano, and my dad, the clarinet. I'd hear everything from Mozart to Sousa marches.
I think the majority of the cassettes and CDs dad listened to through the 80's were classical. I imagine he played big band now and again.... but swing was certainly not the majority. So, I cannot honestly say I was hooked on swing when I was a kid. I do recall, however, when dad listened to Benny Goodman, it was the start of a new love for me. Maybe it was something about that familiar sound I'd heard from the time I was a baby? Needless to say, it was a fire I feel was ignited by an instrument I loved to hear, because it was played by my dad. So, even though this post doesn't truly uncover the numerous ways my father influenced me through music, I'm grateful to him for his love of this one instrument, and I'm proud of him for his dedication to music education. Happy Father's Day Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment